Bed bugs and dust mites are gross! And they’re everywhere. But there is a difference between the two.
House dust mites are tiny arachnids like spiders often found in carpets, mattresses and upholstered furniture. They’re not really visible to the naked eye. Apparently, their diet consists of human skin scales and the moisture of ‘human shavings’, which we naturally shed, all day, every day. Sometimes they diversify their diets with fungi, cereals, crumbs and fish food. The enzymes found in their secretions can cause allergic airway reactions.
Bed bugs are parasitic six-legged creatures that are flat rusty colored insects that are about the size of an apple seed, which means they are visible to the naked eye. They are known as blood suckers. Nice. A bed bug infestation can happen anywhere, but usually in messy households or apartments and hotel/motel rooms. Mess affords them better opportunity to hide, and they often hitch a ride in suitcases, pillows, or any soft fabric travel items.
Banish Bed Bugs – Essential Oil Blend
- 250ml Distilled Water
- 30ml 80 Proof Alcohol (Like Vodka) (Substitute Witch Hazel if desired and omit distilled water)
- 1/4 teaspoon Lemon Essential Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Orange Sweet Essential Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Tea Tree Essential Oil (Omit if there are pets in the house.)
- 1/4 teaspoon Eucalyptus Lemon Essential Oil (Optional - use as a substitute to Lemon Essential Oil if desired)
|In a sterile spray bottle, combine ingredients. |
|Shake well before spraying in the air in your home which will force dust to fall to the ground. Also, spray linens, pillows, couch cushions, and mattresses. Allow to dry.|
|Use as needed before sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, and dusting.|
The following essential oils are available in our store: